How to ensure the right people, with the right skills, are in the right place at the right time: a guide to nursing, midwifery and care staffing capacity and capability
This report, developed by the chief nursing officer for England in collaboration with the National Quality Board, provides guidance on safe staffing levels.
It sets out guidance on how to get nursing, midwifery, and care staffing right so that staff can deliver high quality and safe care. The guidance describes the expectations for commissioners and provider organisations as well as the key issues to consider in making decisions about appropriate and safe staffing levels. These key expectations are focused on:
- Accountability and responsibility for staffing
- Evidence-based decision making
- Supporting and fostering a professional environment
- Openness and transparency
- Planning future workforce requirements
- And the role of commissioning.
A number of case studies, examples, and models are provided to illustrate the guidance, the decisions, and systems required to support appropriate and safe levels of staffing.